Skip to content

Plus a little boasting from my mom:

September 5, 2011

Minnesota high school students scored nearly two points above the national average in the ACT college entrance exam.

Minnesota’s class of 2011 had an average composite score of 22.9, the eighth highest in the nation, according to ACT, which released the results Wednesday. The national average was 21.1, out of possible score of 36.

The state’s composite score was unchanged from 2010.

Students were tested in subjects including English, reading, math and science.

The states that scored higher than Minnesota were Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island.

However, none of those states came close to Minnesota in the percentage of graduating students who were tested. While 72 percent of Minnesota graduates took the ACT, the other states ranged from 28 percent (New York) to 9 percent (Maine) of their grads. Students in northeast states are more likely to take the SAT as their college entrance exam.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: